[Alberg30] Re: Battery Charger Recommendation

richard.hazlegrove1 at firstunion.com richard.hazlegrove1 at firstunion.com
Fri Jan 19 05:22:09 PST 2001

John,  I installed a charger two years ago at the same time I wired the
boat for 110v shorepower.  I used a 10 amp, dual battery smart charger from
West Marine.  I recall it ran a little over $100.00.  It is permanently
mounted in the port cockpit locker at the top of the forward bulkhead.  It
is out of the way but accessible to read the 3 LED's that indicate the
status of the charge cycle.  So far I am very pleased with the unit.  It
allows me to leave the two 130amp batteries on charge at all times.  It is
my understanding that these smart chargers are very gentle on batteries and
in fact extend their life when used on a constant basis.  There is actually
some pretty good information in the West catalogue about how to set up
various charger installations.  I will be happy to answer any other
questions about my setup.  Good luck.

Richard Hazlegrove
Quest 433

 |            The BT Global Challenge -- match racing in the Southern Ocean                |
 | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860&siteid=32743498&bfpage=bt_challenge |