[Alberg30] care of teak

Dan Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Tue Jan 16 11:21:41 PST 2001

Lorelei23 at aol.com wrote:

> When I purchased my A30 last August, the former owner told me that the
> inside teak should be "oiled" with lemon/teak oil...

In 15 years of owning my '66 A-30, I have put nothing but lemon oil on
the interior teak, including the floor (sole). It is fine on the cabin
sole, and in my experience, even when the wood is well soaked up, it can
be sailed later that day or the next day. If the wood doesn't aborb the
oill "for a week" that's absurd -- it's wasted oil. Someimes I'll apply
a fairly heavy coat, and come back the next day to wipe off the excess,
but that's about it. Also, remeber to "air out" oil rags, the oil and
solvent can be a spontaneous combustion hazard.

I have found that real lemon oil for finish work was only obtainable
from paint and furniture supply places, and only by the gallon. It's
mostly solvent, by the way. I thought I'd never use a gallon, but
becasue I had to strip and refinish some of the interior last sumemr
after a water leak, I ended up using the whole gallon.

--Dan Sternglass
"Watcher of the Skies" #201, 1966, Ithaca, NY, Cayuga Lake
dans at stmktg.com
 |            The BT Global Challenge -- match racing in the Southern Ocean                |
 | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860&siteid=32743498&bfpage=bt_challenge |