[Alberg30] Book Recommendations

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Thu Jan 18 14:51:08 PST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <JPGrathwol at aol.com>
> I am contemplating rewiring my boat and I'd like to install a shore power
> hookup to a battery charger.  I don't think I am that interested in DC
power
Any other
> advice to offer?

Are you only interested in A.C. for the battery charger or do you want to
put outlets in the boat as well?
re: Battery Chargers,  Don't skimp. Buy the best you can afford of the newer
multi-step technology chargers. They are much more effective at recharging
deep cycle batteries, and are better for the batteries as well. I installed
the Statpower TruCharge 20 in my boat and it does a wonderful job (pretty
quickly also). I only use it occasionally and it's been on board for 3-4
years with no problems. (I also have a 75 amp Balmar alternator with a
multi-step regulator, so I don't need to AC charge to often.)
Don't go for the older ferro-resonant / tapering type of charger. They taper
down too quickly, never really top off the battery, and most of them don't
shut off when they're done.
re: Book Recommendations,   There are lots of good books out there. "Spurr"s
Boatbook, Upgrading the Cruising Sailboat" is a good general purpose book.
It has sections on rewiring but, more importantly, on page 297 of the second
edition there is an extensive list of "further reading" on electrics.
Most important with AC is to watch out for the possibility of stray
currents. There's differing opinions on how to avoid them. I only use my AC
system occasionally, so I just keep the circuits seperate. I also always
have a Hubbel circuit tester plugged in to one outlet. It confirms that the
circuit is OK, the ground is not open, the polarity is correct, and provides
a nice nite-light as well.

Good Luck,           Brian         Free Spirit         A30 #497

 |            The BT Global Challenge -- match racing in the Southern Ocean                |
 | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860&siteid=32743498&bfpage=bt_challenge |