[Alberg30] Atomic 4 (was Spark Plugs)

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 22 05:06:48 PST 2001

If you folks with Atomic 4s want to try something different...next time you
change your oil replace it with Castrol Synthetic. I did this after feeling
bad about running the crankcase dry. The engine started squealing and
overheated. I shut it down, check the oil and there wasn't any. I thought it
was a goner. I quickly dumped 3 quarts into the engine and restarted it. The
temperature dropped to normal and she was fine. I switched to Castrol
synthetic and the first time I used the boat was convinced that there was
something wrong with the engine because it was so quiet [after 20 years with
the same engine you learn all of the minor noises]. But now completely
quiet! In fact, I was running the engine at 1800 RPM without knowing it
[prior to the oil change I never was able to run higher that 1400 RPM]. I
sold the engine 3 years later, good compression and was running strong [I
suspect the main bearings were a little worn] but the A4 is a strong engine.

I learned about Castrol from my VW mechanic, who advised me to switch over
in my '71 VW Convertible which was burning oil. Once I switched to Castol,
oil burning went away. I have never been able to reason this out, but it
worked.

Mike Lehman
840 Mill Creek Road
Arnold, MD 21012