[Alberg30] Atomic 4 (was Spark Plugs)

Alan P. Kefauver apk2 at home.com
Mon Jan 22 16:30:23 PST 2001

With a car, if you have been using dino oil for more than about 3,000 to 5,000 miles( from new), switching to synth oil usually causes leaks around the seals, since the synth doesn't cake, and actually washes the crud out of the seal area, thereby causing leaks. I don't know the boat equivalent of 5k miles, and the oil pressure in a sailboat engine is definitely lower than that in a high performance engine, but.....
As a matter of fact, Ford specifically says not to use synth oil in the Mustang Cobra engine. It will void the warranty. However, if you are going to use synth, Amsoil 5w-30 is the best.
Alan