[Alberg30] Gray Marine - Sea Scout 91

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 23 08:23:03 PST 2001

First the Gray Marine and Atomic four are two different engines. I have used
and installed the Vetus water lift muffler on the Atomic four and it works
great. Since it is plastic, if the water pump fails, the hot exhaust from
the engine will quickly melt the muffler, so it is important to keep the
cooling system working properly. I have also installed the Vetus muffler on
my Universal M4-30 diesel and have no problems with it and it has been in
use for 4 seasons. The plumbing is different. From the manifold you will
install a 90 degree elbow pointing up, then a piece of pipe to just under
the cockpit sole, another 90 degree elbow pointing back; a short length of
pipe; a 45 degree elbow pointing down; a length of straight pipe which has a
smaller pipe welded into the side at a 45 degree angle for the water
injection; this all connects to rubber exhaust hose which leads to the Vetus
muffler and from the muffler with rubber hose to the thru-hull exhaust. I
made a big loop in the final exhaust hose in the lazarette so water could
not back-fill the muffler while healed over. The pipes can be galvanized
steel which will rust out over time, but are inexpensive and readily
available - or - bronze as I put on my boat. The disadvantage to bronze is
the cost, availability and the fact that when the pipes get hot the joints
loosen due to thermal expansion. Eventually the pipes will "lock" themselves
together, but it takes about a season for that to occur. The other thing
that you will want to do is to wrap the pipes with fiberglass exhaust wrap
which reduces the potential for burning yourself, reduces the heat to the
cockpit floor and, in the case of galvanized steel, reduces the life of the
pipe due to the fact that it traps moisture and increases the rust factor.

The system works great. You can do it yourself. You will need a welder to
make the pipe with the water injection pipe. I am sure there are details in
the manual on this.

Mike Lehman
840 Mill Creek Road
Arnold, MD 21012