[Alberg30] Re: [Alberg30]

SandersM at aol.com SandersM at aol.com
Thu Jan 25 21:30:34 PST 2001

In a message dated 1/25/01 8:16:39 PM, timmins at optonline.net writes:

<< I've been thinking

about using these and building up a 1 1/2" thick frame to use to mount these

flush mounts as surface mounts. It would be a real small resonant cavity but

would probably look OK and wouldn't destroy the bulkheads. I've talked to

the guy from Poly Plannar about this idea and he just kept saying that there

designed to be flush mounted.  >>

The Poly Planar guy is right.  The speakers need a baffle to project midrange
and bass notes.  The flush mounting provides the surface they need to provide
a balanced sound.  Put them in tight boxes, and they will sound tinny.  I
have a satellite/subwoofer stereo speaker system.  If I put the satellites
out on tables by themselves, they lose the midrange sounds and all you hear
is treble (from the satellites) and bass (from the subwoofer).  But put them
on a bookshelf, flush with books on either side, and the book spines provide
the baffle and the midrange fills in and they sound like a million dollars.

Frankly, I can't think of a way to install a top-notch high fidelity sound
system in an Alberg 30 that doesn't require serious surgery.  But why try?
The "listening room," even if you could figure out an installation, is so
acoustically closed that the benefits of the system would be far outweighed
by the damage done by the surgery.  Stick with a simpler system and spare
your woodwork.

Sanders McNew
WILD ELF  # 297
Oyster Bay, New York
 |            The BT Global Challenge -- match racing in the Southern Ocean                |
 | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860&siteid=32743498&bfpage=bt_challenge |