[Alberg30] Onboard Electronic Charting

dickdurk at intercom.net dickdurk at intercom.net
Mon Jan 29 18:18:05 PST 2001

I've used both kinds of electronic charting Navtec (looks like a regular chart
with your boat/course/tides/currents/etc. overlaid) and the kind that uses C-map
chips. I think one is called raster and one called vector. i've used them professionally
(i.e. in an enclosed wheelhouse) and both provide usable information. As far
as sailing an open boat, coastwise, it;s difficult to see what more information
you would want than a series of waypoints going to your destination, loaded
into a GPS. The considerations of rain, spray, battery drain, space, who knows
what else, seems to me to put electronic charts somewhere down near the category
of unreliable gizmo.
Having said all that, they make a great toy to play with...
One man's opinion, and I'm sure many will differ.
Michael Grosh
Checkmate #220
 |            The BT Global Challenge -- match racing in the Southern Ocean                |
 | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860&siteid=32743498&bfpage=bt_challenge |