[Alberg30] Onboard Electronic Charting

Schuylkill schuylki at vanent.vanebros.com
Mon Jan 29 17:00:29 PST 2001

I've used both kinds of electronic charting Navtec (looks like a regular chart
with your boat/course/tides/currents/etc. overlaid) and the kind that uses C-map
chips. I think one is called raster and one called vector. i've used them
professionally (i.e. in an enclosed wheelhouse) and both provide usable
information. As far as sailing an open boat, coastwise, it;s difficult to see
what more information you would want than a series of waypoints going to your
destination, loaded into a GPS. The considerations of rain, spray, battery
drain, space, who knows what else, seems to me to put electronic charts
somewhere down near the category of unreliable gizmo.
Having said all that, they make a great toy to play with...
One man's opinion, and I'm sure many will differ.
Michael Grosh
Checkmate #220

 |            The BT Global Challenge -- match racing in the Southern Ocean                |
 | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860&siteid=32743498&bfpage=bt_challenge |