[Alberg30] Jiffy Reefing

Chester and Jan Koop cjk at tir.com
Wed Jan 31 18:46:27 PST 2001

When I made the conversion to slab reefing several years ago, I attached a
large "J" to the gooseneck at the tack point. By using a large enough hook,
I was able to get two reef crinkles one hook. As an alternative method one
could attach on hook on either side; one for each reef.
The hook I used was SS and approx. 3/16" in diameter.  The base on the long
end of the "J" was flat and had a 1/4" hole (which is the same diameter as
the bolt hole for the tack).  I simply purchased a slightly longer bolt and
using the existing hole on the top part of the gooseneck, attached both the
"J" hook and the "U" fitting (which held the sail tack to the boom) with
this single bolt.  The "J" hook was, naturally, placed on the outside of the
"U" fitting. This arrangement eliminates the need for drilling/threading any
new holes and does not interfere with the existing worm gear for the old
rolling reef.

Chet Koop
Tanagroa #445