[Alberg30] Mast Beam Repair

SwiftLaw at aol.com SwiftLaw at aol.com
Mon Jul 30 09:33:56 PDT 2001

I just did this repair this Spring on my boat #222.

Answers:

Jack the beam up very slowly. I took four days to achieve the height. Until the cabin door would close freely.

Support the jack either accross the floor with a solid beam or under the small cleaning scupper aft the forrard cabin with a smaller block.

Predrill one of the plates off the boat. This will prevent 'dimpling' which can diminish the flush fit. prepare the surface of the wood beam and score the aluminum plates to take a good coat of West epoxy prior to clamping.

Our hole placement was determined by guestimation.. I placed the majority of the bolts through the center of the beam (high and low). I ran out as far as I could and still get the drill to go through. Total of 10 holes and bolts. I used 1/4 inch stainless steel bolts with hex nuts.

TIP: bought a wonderful drill bit called " the agressor" wich made the job a breeze.

Suggestion: notwithsatnding the kindness of your friend who is a machinist, I suggest getting the plates cut by The Washington Aluminum Company. They have the exact template on file for the Alberg Fix and cut the pieces with a computerised water jet. It took three days for them to ship to me here in Chicago. The number there is 410-242-1000. Dial extension 301 and ask for Kirk. No point in reinventing the wheel here. Cost was $257 including shipping.

Boat looks great and is stronger than ever.

Good luck.

Tom Swift
Chicago
 | Simrad TP20 w/ FREE remote, on sale at Sailnet. Search "SIMTP20" |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066     |