[Alberg30] Re: Anchors

William J. Burke wburke at worldpath.net
Mon Jun 4 18:00:31 PDT 2001

Randy,

Instead of a Bruce I'd highly recommend a 22 lb Delta.  While everyone has
an opinion on anchors, I've had tremendous success with a delta.  Used a 22
lb Delta on our 37' trimaran for years (30' of 3/8" chain and 3/4" nylon
rode) and it NEVER failed to set.  It proved better than the 45lb CQR which
we carried as our primary hook.  On a boat with LOTS of windage, we referred
to the delta as our Sominex, as we slept well whenever it was down.
Occasionally in major frontal passages we found ourselves with all the load
on the delta after a wind shift and it held us in 60+ knots of wind (pegged
anemometer).  Don't mean to sound too enthusiastic about it but hey, it
proved itself well.  Definitely worth consideration.

Bill Burke
USCG 1600T Sail Master
Potential A-30 owner ??

 | Simrad TP20 w/ FREE remote, on sale at Sailnet. Search "SIMTP20" |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066     |