[Alberg30] New seat boards

Dan Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Mon Jun 4 19:31:49 PDT 2001

Randy Katz wrote:

> Thanks, Dan,
>     GOod thoughts about the veneer, and about painting the undersides.  I
> hadn't thought of that before.  do you think it's really needed to use
> marine grade ply if everything is sealed off otherwise?

Randy,

I don't know exactly the difference between good exterior and marine
grade plywood, but since these hatches are exposed to heating/cooling,
salt spray and a damp environment, you should be sure that the adhesive
in any other grade of plywood is adequate. Can't really help you on that
one.

> Does the veneer hold on OK?  I wonder especially about the edge trim, which I would guess
> especially likely to peel off at some point.

I can't speak to the edge trim, since my settee hatches have solid teak
strips that are screwed and plugged to the solid center piece on all 4
sides. However, the veneer on top of the lazarette has never separated,
although there are a few small chips at the edges. *Do* keep in mind,
however, that I am in fresh water, in an inland lake, so "your mileage
may vary." My 1966 boat has actually *never* seen salt water.

I think the problem with the edges would be abrasion, which brings me to
another related point...

If you make the settee hatches with sufficient clearance so as not to
rub on the sides, you can still get a very good seal to keep the cockpit
locker contents dry. What I do is use regular automotive door gasketing,
it comes in a "D"-shaped cross-section in various sizes in rolls with
pretty strong self-adhesive backing on the flat side of the "D". It can
stick right on the bottom of the hatch on the two narrow edges and the
front. This also dampens hatch vibration noise. However, if you do this,
make sure it's not too thick, or you will put too much load on the piano
hinges.

Good luck,

--Dan S.
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY
 | Simrad TP20 w/ FREE remote, on sale at Sailnet. Search "SIMTP20" |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066     |