[Alberg30] Keels

Peter Amos P.A.Amos at tesco.net
Wed Jun 20 14:51:11 PDT 2001

I drilled a small hole in the interior surface of the keel below the engine, to take a screw for fixing a bilge pump switch. I was surprised at how thin the fibreglass skin is at this point. The bit came out with a dry grey powder on it that looked like cement dust. Was dry cement used in the ballast area,if so why?
Randy's query about a foam filled area in the keel and cracks when blocked may have solved one of my problems, an untraceable leak while motoring or sailing.Much less when anchored.Not shaft,cooling system, rudder tube, through hulls or bilge pump outlets too near the waterline.
If a hole can be drilled in this foamed area, if there is one in the A 30, exactly where should it be?
Peter Amos
Tait Tait #478