[Alberg30] Furling Luff Tapes

John Birch Sunstone at idirect.com
Wed Jun 27 07:18:10 PDT 2001

Do be careful on luff tape sizes as the requirement varies from each furler manufacturer. Number 6 is used almost exclusively with the new Schaffer Furlers, but I have seen #5 and #8 used too with other manufacturers and old systems were more variable. My A-37 uses #6 on a Schaffer. Size of boat is not really a good indicator - call a sailmaker for specifics. Too small a tape will pull out and that would be a mess likely resulting in a jam, too large just won't fit.

John Birch
9 Homewood Avenue
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
L8P 2M1