[Alberg30] Bedding Shroud Tangs

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Sat Jun 9 10:53:06 PDT 2001

Hey friends,
I saw this subject of bedding shroud tangs.  It's an 'RE', so I must have
missed the original question, but here is my experience, for what its worth.
Stargazer is a 1967 A30, #255, and so has the masonite cored deck. There was
some very old crumbly caulking around the chainplates, and though there was
no evidence of a leak, I figured one could not be far.
The crumbly stuff came out easily. Beneath was some kind of cotton or oakum
jammed in very tight After trying to pull this out and finding that it was
really jammed in there, I figured that it was watertight, so could still be
trusted.
I put some masking tape on the deck, leaving a 1/8 to 1/4 inch strip of deck
visible around each chainplate, and worked a thick bead of 3M 5200 around
each one, making sure the bead went at least 1/4" up the side of the
chainplates. Even 5200 can have trouble adhering to SS, so I figured having
it contact as much of the  SS as possible couldn't hurt.
I gave the 5200 a couple of hours to set, and pulled the tape, and let a few
days go by before I touched the 5200.  Some dirt from boatyard winds stuck to
the white 5200, but it was not bad enough to redo the job.
The chainplates which had not been leaking before still didn't, so I guess it
worked!    :)
Hope this helps,
Lee
 | Simrad TP20 w/ FREE remote, on sale at Sailnet. Search "SIMTP20" |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066     |