[Alberg30] deck core

John P Reber JohnReber at ChesapeakeIsle.org
Tue Jun 19 08:44:25 PDT 2001

At 11:29 AM 6/19/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>John -
>
>You are going to get lots of opinions... here is mine.
>
>I'd go with the best quality marine plywood I could afford.  The benefits of
>the other choices involve lightness - but in each case (I feel) negative
>characteristics involving "crushability" under fittings and water absorbtion
>come too.  The good plywood is strong, when soaked in resin is quite water
>proof, and in our boats you are unlikely to notice a sailing performance
>loss because of the weight.  That is unless the Canada's Cup committee sees
>the light and decrees that the up-coming seried between Canada and the U.S.
>will be sailed in A30's   ;)
>
>Cheers, Gord KC426 Surprise

OK, I like the idea of strong...

If I used plywood, is there a layer of fiberglass cloth used under the
plywood. When I talked to the supplier, I was told no under the Klegecell
and yes under the balsa...

Also would I use the same thickness of plywood as I would if used balsa or
would I use a thinner sheet???

As for the crushability, this old boat did recommended to cut in sections
of plywood under fittings when using cel's or balsa

thanks,

John P Reber
"FAIR WIND,  #490"

 | Simrad TP20 w/ FREE remote, on sale at Sailnet. Search "SIMTP20" |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066     |