[Alberg30] deck core

cbcurrier at spinrx.com cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Tue Jun 19 10:34:30 PDT 2001

John and all,

Having recently acquired #258 which sta for atleast 10 years on the hard, I
evaluated all of the possible issues surrounding the joyful usage of the boat.
One primary problem came to light immediately.
The lower deck is soft everywhere. Apparently due to the improper bedding of
deck hardware. Leaks abound. The interior has tide marks from all of the
draining that has taken place.

I figure that the time required to re-do the deck will take prohibitive
amounts of time. I know that there are those cans of construction foam which
are used to insulate houses. The same idea could be used in deck repair.
Enter, mix and pour foam like Evercoat's Foam-it. See
http://www.evercoat.com/Marine/FoamsSealants.htm
I am considering this solution as a reasonable option to the "Cut the whole
deck off" option. Hence: Cut 2"x2" hole (use dremel & make a box or circle),
then create 2 nearby 2"x 2" holes the same way.  mix foam thoroughly 1/1
ratio. pour , then repeat to top off. full directions are on can. Likely in
preperation for this you might use the Old bent nail manuver to rout out the
old balsa. the foam should encase and seal in whatever is left. For
reinforcement options pour epoxy as suggested previously. Adding the High
tensile strength agents will definitely aid in those more strength oriented
beddings.
Finally, cut out overflow and epoxy deck cutouts back in place.

that's the plan, I'll be working on it over the next few months. the bot will
be berthed in the water down in Hillsmere outside annapolis. Any opinions are
welcomed.

C.B. Currier
Infinity #57
New unnamed boat # 258

--- John P Reber  <JohnReber at ChesapeakeIsle.org> wrote:
> Hi gang,
>
> I'm about to start some deck repairs on Fair Wind.
>
> I've read This old boat, Jim's article in the Main Sheet and talked to
> several other people such as George and Harry who have done this type of
> repair.
>
> Jim's article mentioned a core material called 'devincell'  ( i think
> that's how it was spelled), George and the Alberg30 website recommend
> Klegecell and I've heard other people say to use balsa.
>
> I talked to the company that was mentioned on the website, they sell both
> Klegecell and balsa...when I asked their core 'expert', after he ran
> through the way to use either Klegecell or balsa, what he would use....he
> said he'd use marine plywood...
>
> I'd like to know what are the advantages/disadvantages of
> devincell/klegecell (I imagine they're similar), balsa and plywood???

> John P Reber
> "FAIR WIND,  #490"

 | Simrad TP20 w/ FREE remote, on sale at Sailnet. Search "SIMTP20" |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066     |