[Alberg30] Keels

Taylor Echlin taylor at echlinvests.com
Thu Jun 21 09:54:29 PDT 2001

Now you've thrown me.  I was always told that Kurt Hansen used iron slabs  -
cause he found it too expensive to cast lead in a mould.  My understanding
was that the workers hand laid the iron slabs in the fiberglass (after it
cured) and then filled the hollows with vermiculite.

Lew Dohn owned Caliban #78 - built in 1965 (he retired the Great Lakes
Championship trophy after winning it 3 times in a row) and he "special
ordered" the boat with a lead keel after writing to Carl Alberg.  Lew told
me that Hansen got mad at having to cast the lead - and wouldn't cast lead
for anyone else afterwards.

So - if Hansen didn't want to cast the lead - why would he cast the iron???

I would much rather have a one-piece iron casting for ballast - than iron
slabs hand laid as I described.

The club member I mentioned is a yacht broker - he never built an Alberg 30
- so I don't know if he has direct knowledge.  But he told me that's how
other boat builders filled their keels.
--
Taylor Echlin
le papillon 612

----------
>From: George Dinwiddie <gdinwiddie at min.net>

> Does he have any direct knowledge, or was he just speculating?  I've
> never heard of an Alberg 30 with anything but a one-piece casting
> for ballast.
>
>  - George
>

>> Taylor Echlin said:
>>  [snip]
>> He said that the ballast in Alberg 30s can be iron slabs, pellets, and even
>> nails.

 | Simrad TP20 w/ FREE remote, on sale at Sailnet. Search "SIMTP20" |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066     |