[Alberg30] Keels A30/Folkboat

RABBIT649 at aol.com RABBIT649 at aol.com
Mon Jun 25 01:13:01 PDT 2001

Great piece of detective work, Peter. If we keep using the little gray cells
like that, we'll soon have the entire mystery solved.
The 8-10" drop at the back exactly corresponds with what I exposed when I
removed the 18 or so inch piece of 2 x 4 from behind the ballast, under the
covering of "gray substance". The cross-section of the ballast at the rear
thus exposed clearly showed that the ballast is bedded in this substance
which someone identified as vermiculite.
Does anyone have any thoughts about my plan of using alchohol to leech the
water out of the vermiculite bedding non-invasively?
Paul
#23 Ashwagh

In a message dated 6/24/01 8:32:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
phay at attcanada.ca writes:

> Until last year my boat #384 was on the hard beside one of the Whitby built
> folkboats (Continental Folkboat is one term I have heard).  As Paul said it
> has an external iron keel and that was evident by the rusting on the
surface
> although is didn't seem to be a large problem.  What I found interesting is
> as follows.  One morning in early spring I arrived at the yard and noticed
> that the ballast on my A30 (staying very cold on a relatively warm day) had
> caused frost to outline its profile on the fiberglass.  I immediately
looked
> over at the Folkboat and voila the profile is virtually identical to the
> external iron (very high at the forefoot and tapering toward the aft end of
> the keel but stopping well short of the rudder shoe).  I didn't measure or
> mark it with anything so I can't say for sure what the exact measurements
are.

>  I have a copy of Choice Yacht Designs by Richard Henderson (1979).  He
> reviews the A30 (and Triton).  He has a diagram of the A30 hull lines
> complete with the ballast outline.  It would appear to extend from just aft
> of the watertank and decline at about a 10 deg. angle ending about 1.5 to
2.0
> feet in front of the rudder shoe where is drops straight down about 8 to 10
> inches to the base of the fiberglass hull.  There is also a bottom up
profile
> (Iines).  Because Henderson couldn't get original plans of the Triton from
> Pearson at the time he wrote the book, he had Carl Alberg draw him a new
> diagram of the Triton Mark II.  That plan has a slightly different rudder
> which might have been to apease Pearson.  The A30 plan also shows a squared
> off rudder.  Perhaps this also reflects Alberg's revised thinking on rudder
> profile???
>  I will see if I can get an enlarged copy of the page.  If I can enlarge it
> properly I can fax a copy to anyone who wants one.
>  Peter Hay
>  Rubicon #384
 | Simrad TP20 w/ FREE remote, on sale at Sailnet. Search "SIMTP20" |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066     |