[Alberg30] RE: Help! Need foresail for Roller Furling

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Wed Jun 27 02:17:46 PDT 2001

Richard,
  Try calling Bacon and Associates in Annapolis. They usually have a good
assortment of used sails on hand. I've checked their lists many times and it
seems they always have a few appropriately sized sails. You should know what
luff tape size you need before you call (which may be why you didn't get
many (any) responses right away). Based on my limited knowledge, you will
probably need #6 size luff tape for our size furlers (3/16, I think). Bacon
will probably have a wide price range, from almost (or actually) new to just
before a piece of crap. I sold a jib through them when I bought my boat
(working jib with battens and hanks) which was old. I also tried to sell the
spare main through them, which is the sail that the previous owner told me
to use, but they called it crap (based on their burst test) and offered to
return it to me or throw it out for me. Based on that, I believe they won't
try to push off on the unknowing anything that would be a total waste of
time/money. I tend to trust them and personally think their prices aren't
too bad.
    Oh by the way, I have an old, not great shape, ~170% with #6 tape on it
around here somewhere. I'm in NY though and I don't think you can get it by
Friday, unless you have a way. Your welcome to borrow it, and I don't need
it back until 8/1/01. I only dig it out and bring it on board when I'm going
on vacation, just in case I need the sail area. I usually carry a 135% on
the furler, a working jib (with luff tape) below, and this year I picked up
a used ATN Gale Sail that sort of hanks on over a furled sail.
Good luck on your quest,
Brian      #497