[Alberg30] Foresail Wanted

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Wed Jun 27 18:52:27 PDT 2001

The weight of the cloth should depend on your typical wind strength. Check
with other who are familiar with your primary sailing waters. My tendency is
toward heavier cloth @ 135% for most conditions. If you intend to leave it
hoisted and furled, I believe you should have an acrylic sun cover on the
leach and foot to protect the sail from that nasty UV. I have found the 135%
adequate to ideal in all conditions except really light stuff. The 135% can
be reefed down to about 110% or so with reasonable results (depends on your
furler). I have a foam pad in my luff to aid in holding the shape when
reefing but no independent tack swivel. My buddy on a Saber 28 has the same
furler with the tack swivel and flies a Hild 10-40. He agrees with most I've
heard that the 10-40 is only a dream but he can reef in more percentage than
I can. I believe it's because of his tack swivel not the design of the
10-40. If you don't know, the concept behind the 10-40 was the ability to
use one sail in 10 knots AND 40 knots of wind through sail shape and cloth
weight changes within the sail. Most experts I've talked to (including Mr.
Hild about four years ago) agree that a 10 - 20% sail reduction is all that
is practical with most sails and furlers. Talk it up with the local
sailmakers before you put down your deposit. There is a lot of different
theories out there. I like the guys at UKAlan in Eastport, Annapolis.
(Excuse my terminology if any of you are from the Independent Nation of
Eastport). Others in the club have recommended North in Annapolis.
Good luck on your Quest,
Brian