[Alberg30] Repowering opinions and Atomic-4 for sale

Doliner, Harlan HDOLINER at nixonpeabody.com
Fri Mar 2 11:12:20 PST 2001

For a number of reasons we've made the big decision to re-power Evergreen,
our Alberg 30, with diesel.   We've narrowed down the choices of engine to:
Westerbeke/Universal 25XPB 25hp, price quoted at $7,800; or Kubota/Beta
Marine BD 722, 20 hp, price quoted at just under $5,700.  What can anyone
tell me about their experiences in installing either of these in an Alberg
30, as well as opinions/experience regarding reliability, availability of
parts, etc.?  Is going with the Universal worth the additional $2,100?  If I
go with the Kubota/Beta Marine will I be under-powered with a 20 hp diesel
in an Alberg 30?  Any input is welcome.   Finally, to do some other work,
we've already pulled the Atomic-4.  While the fuel filter was replaced in
August, the engine needs a ring job and has some external, apparently just
cosmetic rust where water dripped on it through crazing in the cockpit floor
(another project!).  It would have to be shipped from Manchester,
Massachusetts.   Any offers, (including shipping)?   Thanks very much.
Harlan Doliner, Evergreen #489.

 | Get a FREE knotmeter at http://www.alberg30.org/store/ |