[Alberg30] Bringing Lines Aft-Mast Plate

Chester and Jan Koop cjk at tir.com
Tue Mar 27 18:39:38 PST 2001

Several years ago I designed and had made, a custom stainless steel mast plate for organizing halyards which did not involved drilling any holes in the deck.  The attached drawing illustrates its construction.The height of  raised flange plus the distance to the center line of turning block axle permits the halyards to clear the doghouse roof.  Three line organizers are through bolted to the forward edge of both sides of the doghouse roof (at an angle to the fore-aft center line) and allows the halyards to be brought back to the cockpit. It has worked well and does not compromise the mast to deck connection.

I believe the version with the 90 degree turns would be a better arrangement because it permits "stand-up" blocks to be bolted to the flange which in turns avoids have the blocks "flopping" around when not under tension.

The stated thickness of the ss plate  is, I believe, incorrect and should be 3/16".  I had it made about ten years ago (at cost of about $90) and can't remember the correct thickness and with boat being 120 miles away, can't get to it to ascertain the correct size.

Chet Koop
Tangaroa #445
Port of Au Gres (Lake Huron)