[Alberg30] Ballast

John Birch Sunstone at idirect.com
Thu Mar 1 11:10:57 PST 2001

Albergs will always be more tender - but in my opinion it is one of the
boat's strengths as they roll with the punches reducing the shock and peak
as modern fins by a couple of degrees, but in high winds, one is usually
footing to weather as pointing becomes impossible in any type of boat.

As for adding ballast - why not carry extra chain instead over the keel -
giving you something more useful when anchoring. The "problem", as you
define it is much more related to form stability than ballasting. I
seriously doubt on a 400 series boat that loading extra weight that high up
from the bottom of the keel will do much more than make the boat sit lower
in the water and be slower in the lighter conditions. You won't get a
meaningful improvement in the righting arm I suspect.

The form stability of the Alberg is hull shape related and is what gives the
boat such a good roll capsize screening ratio as defined in The Desirable
and Undesirable Characteristics of Offshore Yachts.

A flat, bladed out main, and flatter headsail shapes will help considerably
in reducing unnecessary heeling due to poor sail shape. You might also find
the North Sails Racing Course/Seminar helpful - I did anyway. I hear the
course is even better now. Hope this was a help.

Cheers,

John