[Alberg30] Ballast

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Fri Mar 2 07:05:55 PST 2001

In a message dated 3/1/01 10:16:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
gord at transatmarine.com writes:

<< Hello Gang,

 As some of you may recall, I have moaned in the past about being a little
dissapointed at my A30's ability to carry sail in a blow.  I am in the
process of crunching numbers to determine the benefit of adding lead ballast
beneath my liner pan under the cabin sole.  Anybody else gone down this road?

 Gord
 KC426 Surprise >>

Hi Gord,

Hmmmmmmmmm,
You're touching on a fairly complicated subject here, one that I've thought
of alot, and though in my amateur language I may not express myself as
clearly as I'd like, if you are interested in this subject, as obviously you
are, I'm sure you would not mind 'one more take' on it.
In general, old fashioned, CCA, narrow, 'slack bilged', heavy, full keel
designs, like our A 30's, have to heel over to get  the reserve bouyancy of
the topsides into the water so that the heeling forces of the rig will be
countered by the stabilizing forces of the ballast, and so any further force
in the rig will push the boat forward, instead of further heeling the boat
over.
 Once this degree of heeling is reached, the appropriate amount of sail will
deliver all the power one could need to reach hull speed in the particular
conditions. If overpowered, reefing will bring the boat back up to top
achievable speed in the given wind conditions.  Adding ballast would cerainly
make her stiffer, so in a given wind strength, less reefing would be
necessary, but  would not necessarily result in greater speed, though it
would result in greater forces on the rig and hull. It would certainly put
the boat deeper in the water, increasing wetted surface, and hurting
performance in lighter air.
That's my take on it, anyway............           :)   I love thinking about
this stuff!!!!!!!!   I'd be very interested to learn what 'number crunching'
you do in analyzing the situation.
Lee
 | Get a FREE knotmeter at http://www.alberg30.org/store/ |