[Alberg30] Ballast

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Fri Mar 2 07:29:54 PST 2001

In a message dated 3/1/01 11:27:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
gord at transatmarine.com writes:

<< s would be leaking, water would be pouring into the bunks through the mast
collar, etc)  The Alberg, on the other hand, doesn't stick until she gets to
about 20-22 degrees of heel, and that in less than 20 knts of wind, and at
that point the leeway is becoming heartbreaking.   So;  I am looking at
flatter sails... a deeper second reef, and monkeeing with the ballast....

 Gord
 KC426 Surprise >>
Hey Gord,

Obviously, I'm catching up on my mail today....from the last week!!

Folkboats are great!!  I'm always sorry I never had one.  Maybe some
day..........
Reading your last letter on this ballast question, I didn't know how
extensive your experience/knowledge was; obviously sailing a Folkboat in 30+
knot winds and accompanying seas, you have first hand knowledge of the forces
and factors involved  in sail carrying capacity and speed in high winds, etc.
So let me 'rethink' one thing I said in my last letter-you are right-simply
adding more ballast will stiffen the boat, allowing you to carry more sail,
and then possibly increase the speed of the boat.  Stiffening the boat will
reduce the leeway problem, too, I would think.
Adding ballast will increase the strain on the rig and boat-how much, and
would it be significant enough to cause failures-I don't have the expertise
to give an authoritative answer to that one.
Getting flatter sails, and putting in an efficient slab reefing system for
reef one and two will help too-probably more, I would think, than simply
adding ballast.
Unless I come across a letter today that I have yet to read that says
something to the contrary, I guess you will just have to experiment.  I would
think that in our A 30's, you would start to feel a difference in heeling and
performance with 200 lbs of lead, or so.  Maybe it would take more to start
to feel a difference; to make a noticeable difference in performance, it may
take 2 or 3, or more, times that.
Gee, I'm being real helpfull here, aren't I............:)
Have fun,
Lee
 | Get a FREE knotmeter at http://www.alberg30.org/store/ |