[Alberg30] Holding tanks

Jack Vanderloo jvdloo at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 21 08:21:52 PST 2001

Mike,

This is concerning your comment about a lack of any known bonding agent adhering
to polyethelene.  Great - I just went to the expense, albeit minor, of having a
plastics specialty shop make me a new holding tank cover and nipples of - you
guessed it - 5/16" polyethene!  Now, I suspect you were discussing bonding
polyethelene to polyethelene; my question concerns sealing, first, and adhesion as
a lower priority.

My boat is a newer model with liner, so the tank is under the floor boards
amidships.  The old aluminum cover was sealed with grey goop and rivetted to the 1
to 1 1/2" liner lip.

Given that it still being around 0 degrees celcius here and the boat probably
still under 5' of snow, plus the fact my boat is some 250 miles from here this
year, I will not be getting around to re-installing the cover until early May.

So, do I take from your comments that I may have certain, er, shall we say,
difficulties with this retrofit job?!?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jack
Aldabi - KC641

P.S. - I believe we may have met back in '93 in Oxford at the CBA30A annual dinner
- I was in the process, then, of moving up from an Alberg 22.  Hospitable crowd,
as I recall!  Cheers.

Do