[Alberg30] elementary aged kids and sailing

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Sun Mar 25 09:24:11 PST 2001

Matthew,

At those ages, the attention span is rather short.  At PSA, the
Junior Sailing program starts at 8, which seems to be a turning
point.  They start out rowing and then sailing in small dinghies.
All activities are short with lots of changing gears and some
time for swimming.  By the time they're 10, there's a big
difference in the attention span and they've already learned
to be comfortable on the water.

So, I think you're starting at a good time.  Just don't expect
big progress to start.  When you go cruising, keep the distances
short and have plenty of other things to do.  Think up some
games that can be played on the boat.  Keep them happy and
you'll be happy.

 - George

Matthew E Oster wrote:

> I've been looking to buy a sailboat and have decided on the A30.  I've 4
> boys twins 5, 7 and 8.  I'm thinking the boat would be a great thing for
> us to do together especially as they get older.  Can give me the skinny
> on how kids this age do on the boat?  I was out on a test sail this
> weekend and my oldest son came along.  He said he liked it and when I
> asked him he said we should buy the boat.  He seemed kind of bored to me
> and this was his first time on a sailboat.  The weather was rough and he
> stayed below most of the way home.
 | Rough conditions in the Southern Ocean. Read about the brutal challenges. |
 | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860=32743498=bt_challenge |