[Alberg30] DECK BEAM REPAIR

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 26 15:00:26 PST 2001

Paul, To answer your question, there are two plates, one on the forward side
of the beam and the other on the aft. Using the same bolt holes, I through
bolted the two plates together and at the same time increased the bolts from
1/4" to 5/16". The mast sits mainly on the after part of the beam and
usually twists back leaving a depression on the deck behind the mast. That's
one way to tell it you have a problem, or the start of one. The glue that
Whitby used to laminate the beams gives up over time and the beam itself
delaminates causing it to crack [sometimes dramatically] and happens mostly
to boats that are raced hard in heavy weather with excessive amounts of
sail. But the beam can crack even in a "cruised only" boat once the glue
gives up. When you can't close the door to your forward cabin, then you know
the beam has deflected.

Mike Lehman
840 Mill Creek Road
Arnold, MD 21012