[Alberg30] RUDDER POST

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Wed Mar 28 19:01:43 PST 2001

Do you have a new-style or old-style boat?  The old-style boats
don't have a stuffing box on the rudder post.  The fiberglass
tube extends to the cockpit sole.  I know that they can squirt
water into the cockpit, but I don't know the fix for that.  I
hope someone with experience will chime in.

The newer boats have a stuffing box with is difficult to reach.
I cut the plywood bulkhead in the port seat locker in half
(vertically) and removed the aft half for access.  After
tightening it, I replaced the plywood using sheet-metal screws.
I didn't replace the packing, though.  When the stuffing box
leaks, it doesn't get your feet wet, it leaks down into the
bilge.  Well, if you have a party in the cockpit and get it
well under water, it could fill the boat above the floorboards
and then get your feet wet, I guess.

 - George

Beverly Dodds wrote:

> I want to try to spot the water leak at the rudder post before launch
> this year.  I would like to re-pack the stuffing box.  Has anyone done
> this?  What material do you use?  Do you know of a source in the Toronto
> area?
> Looking forward to dry feet this year.
 | Rough conditions in the Southern Ocean. Read about the brutal challenges. |
 | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860=32743498=bt_challenge |