[Alberg30] Lazy Jacks

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Sat Mar 31 08:35:08 PST 2001

Brian,

I prefer using a dry lubricant on the track.  Any kind of oil is likely
to attract dirt, and even wax will do so eventually.  You can get little
squeeze tubes of graphite or teflon that are designed for squirting
lubricant into locks.  The graphite, of course, will stain the sails
and make a mess.  There's also a spray version of teflon.  I'd tell
you the name of it, but I couldn't find it just now.  To apply this,
I spray it inside the slides and then run the sail up and down--no
need to climb the mast.

When going up the mast, as a former rock climber, I recommend always
having a backup.  Use two halyards, one to lift you and one to catch
you if something happens.  Have someone keeping the slack out of
the spare halyard.  The tail should be looped around a cleat or
something so that if there's a sudden load, the bight around the
cleat will take most of the stress.  And, never depend on snap
shackles.  Use a screw shackle to attack the bosun's chair.

 - George

> That is one of the things I'll be doing. UK suggested that there might be an alignment problem at the joints. I feel it has more to do
> with the webbing on of the slides since it's multiple layers of web, which might be hanging up on the rivets securing the track. UK
> has my sail for winter maintenance and cuningham cringle installation, so I can't look at the actual slides. I figure if it's anything
> more than lubrication, I should be able to spot it easily upon inspection.
>   Do you (or anyone) know a method of waxing or lubricating the track, while the mast is up, that doesn't require going up the mast? I
> have issues with others not doing the right job and trust issues with others winching me up. (I have been dropped once and luckily
> caught myself by grabbing the upper shrouds above the spreaders. I never was and certainly am not now in physical shape to do an
> Iron Cross but I did that day!)
> Thanks,   Brian    Free Spirit    A30    #497

 | Rough conditions in the Southern Ocean. Read about the brutal challenges. |
 | http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=22673860=32743498=bt_challenge |