[Alberg30] RE; cooling system

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Thu May 31 15:43:35 PDT 2001

George Dinwiddie wrote:
Is the water flow reduced when the temperature rises?  If not,
I'd suspect the bypass arrangement.  If the thermostat can't
shut off the bypass flow, the engine will overheat.  You can
test this by restricting the bypass hose (the one entering the
thermostat housing from the waterpump side) with a pair of
vice grips.  If this cools the engine down, the thermostat
or thermostat housing is faulty, or possibly the water input
to the block is plugged.

I believe this to be the case although it's hard to check the exhaust water coming out with the stern wave pushing up and my weight pushing down (I'm not a lightweight). Based on my knowledge of the frailness of the repaired housing bypass boss, I'm betting this is my problem. I'll post results when I correct the problem.
Thanks,   Brian