[Alberg30] RE: Public-list digest, Vol 1 #214 - 4 msgs

Bob Johns rjohns3 at optonline.net
Mon May 14 20:39:42 PDT 2001

>how do you keep the seagulls from going doo doo on the boat -- two weeks
>at the mooring and the entire boat looked as if it was spray painted white
>-- unbelievable -- its a good laugh/cry but a terrible pain in the butt.
>

>Gypsy #138 >
>Linc >

Linc,

Seagulls are bad enough, but for the last few years in Long Island Sound we
have had cormorants. They land on the masthead and spreaders and what they
do does not hose off - it has to be scrubbed off. Many things have been
tried (such as heavy fishline from the ends of the spreaders up to the
mast) but the one thing that seems to work is installing devices that cover
the spreaders with 6 inch metal spikes. The device has a plastic base and
the stainless spikes are built into the base. They are about a foot long
and cost $15 each. I had to buy six of them to cover the spreaders ($90!).
I didn't have to put the spikes at my masthead because I don't have wind
instruments - only the VHF antenna and the anchor light. A friend who has
wind instruments mounted on a pipe extending out horizontally from the mast
was taking a beating from cormorants landing there until he put a piece of
tubing on the pipe. That flipped the cormorants off as they landed.

Not sure if this will help you. There may be a simpler solution for seagulls.

Good Luck,
		Bob Johns, Wind Call #397

 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |