[Alberg30] Alternator / Rebuilding

R.C. Alley ralley at chesapeake.net
Sun May 20 17:05:56 PDT 2001

There was, a few year ago, a book privately published in the Annapolis area
called "The 12 volt Doctor's alternator book" or something of the sort.  You
might want to see if you can find one--try the public library.

 I forget how it is done, but it is possible to tell whether the regulator
or the diode package (or both) are bad with a voltmeter.  These two items
are usually the source of failure. If your motorola has an external (bolts
on the back) regulator, buy a new reg and put it on. If this solves your
problem, then you had a bad regulator. If it doesn't solve the problem, then
you needed a spare regulator anyway. You should be able to buy a diode
package (a set of 3 diodes) for your alternator. You will need to open the
case, in most models, to install the diode package, but it is not difficult.
What usually happens is that one of the diodes fails and the alternator
undercharges.  This can cause your batteries to fail prematurely.

If your alt. has an internal reg, you are probably better off to pay an
alternator shop the fix it..  Be sure to specify what voltage you want for
output at what RPM's.  If it were me, I would look for an externally
regulated alternator as a replacement when you get a chance--if you can't
fix it yourself, why do you want it on the boat?

Best,
Rob Alley