[Alberg30] Deck Beam finished

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Mon May 21 08:50:19 PDT 2001

Congratulations!

----Original Message Follows----
From: SwiftLaw at aol.com
To: Public-list at alberg30.org
Subject: [Alberg30] Deck Beam finished
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 10:43:14 EDT

Progress made: Washington Aluminum Company forwarded the two precut 3/8
aluminum plates for the Deck Beam. Per the expert advice on this list and a
few calls with some of the members, I blew off the yard and effected the
repair myself.

Prepared old surface by hand (No chemical treatments) while the jack rig
stayed in place for 5 days increasing the pressure by a half turn a day. The
aluminum plate did not need much grinding, but accomplished what was
necessary on board. Clamped up the plates "dry" and marked for drilling.
Then
pre-drilled nine holes on a drill press (seven holes Aft to Forward and two
Stern to Forward) .  Important equipment was the 14" drill bit, brand name
"The Aggressor."  Re-laid up the plates dry. Prepared West Epoxy mixture and
applied to surfaces both roughed up for the application.

The drilling was time consuming but not extremely difficult. Finally reset
the plates and drove through all nine 3/8' stainless hex bolts with washers
for and aft. Applied torque by hand. Released the Jack mount. Closed the
forward cabin door for the first time ever I think. It looks like it was
installed by the factory.  Yard Boss pissed that we were right. We are
please
to know the boat better and Launch this Thursday. !!!!  Thank you all so
very
much. I took pictures. I can post if any interest.

Tom Swift

 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |