[Alberg30] Fw: Cooling System

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Tue May 29 19:10:12 PDT 2001

Subject: Cooling System

> Yesterday, I finally got out of my slip and motored at 1500 RPM about 1/2 hour
> to a friend's moorage. Going into his harbor, I checked the Temp. gauge and
> found it up around (just under) 180`.

I had a lot of cooling problems with my A-4 last year, and did what
sounds like similar maintenance. I assume that you removed and cleaned
out the cooling side plate. Also, I assume that you cleaned out the
channels in the block and the holes  where the sideplate mates up with
the block, and the hols and channels in the head.

I replaced the crossover tube on the front with Don's kit that contains
2 barbed fittings and a hose. I have found that this allows me to use a
garden hose to flush the cooling system in both directions, e.g. through
to the exhaust and back through the pump.

A common problem that you may have overlooked is a broken off piece of
an old impeller in the brass pipe connected to the water pump. I found
this only -after- doing all the above work. The flow looked good before,
but was significantly better after I cleared out the obstruction. It
should really shoot out a lot of water (like a hose) at maximum flow.

However... It sounds like a thermostat problem to me. Even after all of
the above, the engine still ocasionally went to 180+. I was using a
brand new thermostat listed as OK for the A-4 in a cross-reference from
a local outboard shop (Quicksilver was the brand.). I eventually bought
2 thermostats from Featherman's (Moyers parts guy), and like magic it
regulates to 130-140 all the time now...

This year, by way of replacing the inlet through-hull, I found that the
previous owner had used a 1/2" PT inlet fitting under the screen, even
though the hole was sized for 3/4" PT. The 1/2" PT was also a
restriction, although it did not seem to cause any problems.

--Dan S.
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY

 |     http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html      |
 | Beautiful notecards of the sea, and other fine art. |