[Alberg30] Fw: Cooling System

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Tue May 29 19:54:12 PDT 2001

Yes, I did a complete clean out of the engine including bottle brushing the
passages and of course removal and clean out of the side plate access three
years ago. I've been maintaining it with at least two flush outs a year
using automotive radiator cleaner and fresh water.
  I removed and replaced my impeller this year and the old one was still in
great shape. My thermostat is only three years old and is the correct one
purchased through Moyer's. It was removed and cleaned and checked this past
winter and it appears to be fine.
  I also replaced my thru hull this year. I removed a 1/2" fitting and
replaced it with a 1/2" fitting. The 1/2" fitting has as much of an opening
as the fittings going into the water pump, so that should not be a
problem.(By the way, the hole in my hull would not have accommodated a 3/4"
thru hull fitting without enlarging it.)

  I also think this sounds like a thermostat problem. Since I checked my
thermostat over the winter and it appeared OK (and was working fine last
season) , I'm looking for other causes. As I mentioned, my thermostat
housing was rebuilt (by Moyer) three years ago and the replacement nipple
for the bypass already appears thin and frail (not horribly though), I'm
thinking along those lines.  To my sense of logic, if the bypass is allowing
water through when the thermostat is open, I should be experiencing
underheating not overheating.
  Any thoughts? Am I overlooking the obvious (which I do sometimes)?
Brian     A30  #497