[Alberg30] Wiring

R.C. Alley ralley at chesapeake.net
Tue May 29 20:21:02 PDT 2001

Yes, I've done it.  No, I haven't the foggiest what it really cost me; I
tend to make a concerted attempt to overbuild and keep voltage drop to a
minimum, so I use heavier gagues of wire than are probably necessary.  I
bought the wire and materials for the basic wiring of the boat at about 1996
prices.  This year I replaced the DC panel and installed an ammeter,
voltmeter, battery charger, and a couple of cigarette lighter-type plugins;
I built the wooden panel to fit, but the cost was actually only $3 for
hinges.  I bought most of the material on sale, but I would bet that I've
got $200 in meters and panels, about $100 in a rebuilt charger, and about
$250 in cable, wire, and connectors of various sorts.  The most expensive
wire on the boat (per foot) is battery cable, followed closely by the coax
for the radio.  I would strongly suggest that you do a lot of fairly minute
planning, and read lots before you begin to do anything (you can start with
Nigel Calder's book on marine electrical systems).  Wire is cheapest when
purchased in volume, on sale.  Do not skimp on materials--buy marine grade
stuff, not automotive--and learn to do proper crimp fittings and wire
soldering.  And buy a good crimping tool--anything less than about $40 is
too cheap, and will produce crimps that are inferior--particularly at the
end of a long day, when your hands are tired.  I have had to replace some of
my earlier work because of this; the tough part was to figure out the
problem. Buy a couple boxes of #8 stainless phillips .50 inch screws--wire
hangers use an amazing number of screws.
I found it useful to look at the job by breaking it down into
systems--charging, communications, navlights, cabin lights, etc., and making
lists of the materials necessary for completing each system, then checking
them off as I purchased them.  When I thought I had everything necessary for
each system, I began on that part of the job.  When complete, I went to the
next bit.
This sounds simple, but actually requires some discipline....
Hope this helps.

RA