[Alberg30] Wiring

OurYawl at aol.com OurYawl at aol.com
Thu May 31 15:49:00 PDT 2001

I must tell you that i just did the entire job myself.  What a job!but very
rewarding when it was done.  I also felt the need to change the location of
certain pieces of the system.

To direclty answer you question, I bought a new battey panel, new DC panel,
new 12 volt switched meter with panel and a new AC panel with meter and
breakers -- all Blue Sea and at a total of over $500.  Then I bought new red
and yellow marine safety wire and went through about a spool and a half -
maybe 150 feet. The spools run about $50 - $60 each.  Then there are the
various buss bars and terminals and connectors and the single red and yellow
for the panel wiring itself.  I would say that doing it myself, it still cost
upwards of $800.

Now, I chose to go to the new battery panel of total separation with
combiner.  If you stay with a 1 both 2 switch, you can pick up a direct
replacement panel which includes the DC breakers for about $200 and save
probably $200 from my approach there alone.  I could have saved some if I
wasn't a meter freak by using a simpler AC panel as well.

The upside,  however,  has been great.  For one thing, everything works
reliably.  The A4 never purred as well, a benefit of more direct routing and
less resistance in the ignition wiring. Clean contacts are important. It
doesn't take much unwanted resistance at 12 volts to harm performance.  I
actually feel safer since some of the wiring I replaced was just copper
extension cord stuff.  And finally, I can trouble shoot the circuits and add
new appliances without fear of unbalancing someone elses clugy wiring.

Jim, #280  Chanson sur Mer
 | Simrad TP20 w/ FREE remote, on sale at Sailnet. Search "SIMTP20" |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066     |