[Alberg30] Exhaust Pipe

Bob Johns rjohns3 at optonline.net
Thu May 31 19:21:00 PDT 2001

>John,
>  Did you actually have your standpipe apart? What I'm trying to figure out
>is: How does the water which is injected into the standpipe in the middle of
>the top avoid going straight into the exhaust pipe which enters the
>standpipe in the center of the bottom and extends "nearly all the way to the
>top". I find it hard to beleive that in such an elegantly designed exhaust
>system that the air pressure of the exhaust gas is all that is keeping the
>water from running straight into the dry side of the manifold and straight
>into cylinder #4. If this is the case, why haven't all Whitby installed
>engines drowned in their own cooling water the first time they don't start
>immediately?
>   Mine appears to be in great shape, but I'm planning for the future, just
>in case.

Brian,

I  had mine apart years ago and if I remember correctly there was a "tent"
shaped piece over the top of the exhaust pipe that deflected the water
entering from the standpipe. The two sides of the tent deflected the water
and the "front"  and "back" of the tent allowed the exhaust to enter the
standpipe. This was a long time ago and I could be remembering wrong so I
am just telling you what I remember. Eventually the exhaust system did go
bad and was replaced, but I would rather still have the original system.

Hope this helps, or reminds someone else of more detail.

Regards,
	Bob Johns, Wind Call #397

 | Simrad TP20 w/ FREE remote, on sale at Sailnet. Search "SIMTP20" |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066     |