[Alberg30] Rudders

Bob Chambers BlueDolphin at rivnet.net
Fri Nov 16 08:58:39 PST 2001

Mike is correct, once you get the proper dimensions, making a new rudder is not complicated.  Having cut apart and re-built the rudder on my Whitby 42 (An Alberg with a thyroid problem) I would suggest that you be sure to tie the post into the rudder very firmly.  In repairing mine, I had two 1/8 inch sheets of brass, about 12 inches square each, welded to the rudder post to insure integrity between the post and the rudder itself.  Several Whitby owners have had the post separate from the rudder and the rudder just swings freely on the post.  While she is a larger boat with much larger forces, insuring the integrity between post and rudder cannot be understated.

Bob Chambers