[Alberg30] Yanmar 3GM

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 15 04:45:29 PST 2001

See comment is CAPS below.

Mike Lehman
"Gilleleje" #505
(410) 544-9067

----Original Message Follows----
From: DickInVA <dickinva at yahoo.com>
To: public-list at alberg30.org
Subject: [Alberg30] Yanmar 3GM
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 05:05:07 -0800 (PST)

I am going to buy a Yanmar 3GM to replace an Atomic4.  Has anyone
replaced an Atomic4 with this particular Yanmar.  I need a lot of help
before I start.  I know this engine may be overkill for an Atomic4 but
my Atomic4 went to engine heaven and I got a great deal I couldn’t pass
up on a slightly used marine fresh water cooled Yanmar 3GM.

1. Does the motor bed in the boat have to change drastically?
YES, THE MOUNTS FOR THE YANMAR AND A4 ARE DIFFERENT. CUT THE A4 MOUNTS OUT
AND FIBERGLASS IN NEW MOUNTS FOR THE YANMAR. TALK TO JIM DAVIS, HE DID THIS
ON #240.
2. Do you use the engine mounts or attach the engine directly to the
boat?
UNLIKE THE A4 WHICH WAS HARD MOUNTED, A DIESEL (YANMAR OR OTHER) SHOULD BE
MOUNTED USING FELX ENGINE MOUNTS TO ABSORB THE VIBRATION.
3. Does the shaft or prop HAVE to change?
THE SHAFT WIL PROBABLY BE A DIFFERENT LENGTH, WITH LUCK IT WILL NEED TO BE
SHORTER, WITH A LOT OF LUCK, IT WILL BE THE SAME. THE PROP NEEDS TO BE
CHANGED IF YOU WANT TO MAXIMIZE THE POWER FROM THE NEW ENGINE.
4. Can I put a 3GM in an Alberg 30?
IF IT WILL FIT.
5. Can the 3GM push the wet exhaust all the way up to the muffler?
IF THE A4 CAN SO WILL THE YANMAR.
Any assistance anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
Dick & Diana
MyLady  #302

http://personals.yahoo.com

  |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |

 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |