[Alberg30] Rudder post?

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Tue Nov 27 15:57:17 PST 2001

Randy Katz wrote:

> Hearing of the leaks brings to mind another question-- it seems there's a
> fair amount of play in my tiller/rudder post connection.

Ah yes, the old same problem...

> Is this "normal"?

Can be fixed...

> By fair amount I'd say the fwd. end of the tiller can go 4-5" without moving
> the rudder, when there's a load on it.
>
> The flange surrounding the post is a bit loose and wobbly too-- missing
> screws.
>
> Everything seems to work OK, but is trouble coming, or is this simply a
> shimming and adjusting problem?

Here's what I did, which has held up for 3-4 years of inland lake
sailing so far, many in winds over 25 MPH...

There are two problems that need to be fixed separately:

(1) Rudderpost cap fitting to rudder post.
(2) Play of the tiller's "fork fitting" on the cap fitting.

1 - I tapped the rudderpost cap fitting for the next largest size of
Allen head capscrew, and bought two stainless allen-head capscrews at
"Fastenal." You will need a "bottoming" (flat bottom) tap, or you can
grind some of the end off a standard tap. I -carefully- drilled the
rudderpost (with a hand drill) 1/64 smaller than the OD of the capscrew
(to allow for hand wobble). I think I also replaced the small allen head
setscrews in that fitting with the next bigger size, but I'm not sure.
Use some oil the first time you screw this capscrew through the hole
inthe rudderpost, and treat it like you're cutting threads (if only
barely). Spread paper around and tape it up to avoid oil staining the
cockpit floor. It is -tight-, even without the small setscrews -- I know
one of mine is loose. The setscrews help prevent wear in the relatively
soft rudderpost.

2 - I had a machinist buddy surface grind the two sides of the cap
fitting parallel. He also (via brute force, I assume) bent the fork
fitting a tiny bit to make its sides parallel, and filed the inside
bearing surfaces flat. A thin stainless steel washer on each side fills
the gap, and voila, no play.

It sure makes a big difference in handling, -and- avoids those nasty
torsional shock loads to the rudderpost.

My buddy predicted that the fix would not last, but it has held up very
well. I know that others have replaced these parts, but this is a
cheaper alternative that worked well for me. Send me private e-mail if
you need more details.

--Dan Sternglass
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies, #201, Cayuga Lake (shore these days), Ithaca, NY

> Merci,
> Randy
 |  http://www.alberg30.org/store/Galison.html  |
 | Great notecards for your Christmas greetings |