[Alberg30] towing

Dick Filinich daf at mobiletel.com
Mon Oct 1 20:35:05 PDT 2001

If I had to tow my boat in heavy weather I'd rig a tow line starting
from the bow stem down outside of the boat around the stern and back to
the bow with a bowline on each end.Secure these loops to bow stem to
keep tow line from falling in the sea,with loops forward of bow stem.My
boat has swim ladder bolted to transom,tow line layed in position above
bottom of bolted through ladder.Put a pair of lines on port and stbd
winches to adjust height of tow line and keep it out of water.All the
shock of running into seas under tow would be taken by the hull,not
hardware meant to tie up to a dock.When under tow try to get towing
vessel to pay out enough line so that both vessels attack seas
together,and keep towing speed down.Well there's my 5 cents worth.
 Haven't had much to contribute lately,just ran out of projects on the
boat,maybe new sails this winter if I decide against morgan 41.But if I
decide to sell Alberg the list will get first crack.

#191  Galliano,La.                  Dick fillinich
 | Boat stuff. Good prices. FREE shipping to the end of September. |
 |    http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066    |