[Alberg30] towing

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Tue Oct 2 02:31:32 PDT 2001

Here is a true story about a proffesional salvor doing a heavy tow.
   About 25 years ago, through a strange series of events, I had to have my
Tartan 27 towed off of an ocean beach. (It's a long story) If you don't
know, the Tartan 27 is a modified full keel with cut away forefoot,
centerboard and attached rudder, not unlike the Alberg basically. The salvor
that I used, rigged the towing bridle around the hull. The bridle went
through the aperture for the prop and up to the stemhead fitting. They used
some small lines to secure the height of the bridle at the stemhead and at
the sheet winches. The tow boat was a clam dredger. Once everything was
ready, the tow boat just dragged her across the sand and into the water. As
the water depth increased, she stood right up until she was able to float.
They towed her back to their dock, then rearranged the towing bridle. This
time, the bridle wrapped around the aft side of the cabin house and up to
the stemhead. Again some small lines were used to control the height of the
bridle at the stemhead and additional lines were tied off from the bridle at
the corners of the cabin house to the sheet winches and secured to the stern
cleats. The next part of the tow was all through relatively calm inshore
channels, so this rerigging method was probably overkill.
    There was absolutely no damage from the towing part of this adventure
(except some scratches from the sandy beach). Hopefully no one here needs to
do this heavy a tow.
Regards,
Brian    Free Spirit  A30  #497  (for sale, see Mainsheet or "Wiki")