[Alberg30] CO2 and diesel engines

Ian MacIntosh jsirm20 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 3 17:09:05 PDT 2001

Hello, thanks for the reminder about this safety hazard. I was taught that
diesel engines generally do not produce CO2, because there is always an
excess of air, as fuel only is increased with throttle, this combination
produces CO2. In gas engines, air is added in proportion with fuel to the
cylinder, creating CO, because there is not enough O to go around. This
makes sense to me, the only thing that I wonder about is if there is a
possibility for a diesel engine to produce CO at a full throttle position. I
wouldnt bet my life on this, but I sure feel more comfortable around
diesels, for more than one reason. thanks for the good discussion
Ian

 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |