[Alberg30] Mainsail reefing?

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Thu Oct 25 12:52:29 PDT 2001

    Stormy days are comin'...

    Here's a problem/question--  I had a second set of reef points put in
the main.  When the sail is lowered for reefing, because the sail track ends
well about the boom, that luff reefing grommet stops about 1.5 feet above
the boom.  With the clew tightened down, and the tack tied off above the
boom there's a long stretch of mainsail tensioned well above the boom.  (Are
you following this?)  Reef ties can be fastened to the sail bottom, but it
seems odd.  It seems to work OK, but looks a bit unorthodox.

    Anyone know what I mean?  Are there any dangers with this (i.e. Over
stressing of the sail?)

    The only solution I can think of is to extend the sail track down the
mast another foot or so, but it seems like an odd thing to have to do.  Most
sailboats have longer sail tracks, thus making this a non-issue.

    Any thoughts about this appreciated.

Randy Katz
Gr. 3
Bertschi School
2227 - 10th Ave E.
Seattle, WA. 98102
USA
206-324-5476 X301

 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |