[Alberg30] Mainsail reefing?

vinegar joe snarkbuster at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 25 13:31:36 PDT 2001

i've got an alberg 29 that i believe is set up
somewhat similarly.  in order to deal with this
"problem," the sail slides on the bottom half of my
mainsail are on a line that is woven into the the luff
of the sail. by loosening this line when the sail is
dropped for reefing (or anything else), the slides
stay in the track, but the sail and reef points have
some "sagability" and can make it down to the boom.
(it only took me two seasons to figure out why this
arrangement was on my boat.)  i probably haven't
explained myself very well, but i have seen a similar
arrangement on other boats and it works well.
bz of vinegar joe
--- Randy Katz <randyk at bertschi.org> wrote:
>     Stormy days are comin'...
>
>     Here's a problem/question--  I had a second set
> of reef points put in
> the main.  When the sail is lowered for reefing,
> because the sail track ends
> well about the boom, that luff reefing grommet stops
> about 1.5 feet above
> the boom.  With the clew tightened down, and the
> tack tied off above the
> boom there's a long stretch of mainsail tensioned
> well above the boom.  (Are
> you following this?)  Reef ties can be fastened to
> the sail bottom, but it
> seems odd.  It seems to work OK, but looks a bit
> unorthodox.

>     Anyone know what I mean?  Are there any dangers
> with this (i.e. Over
> stressing of the sail?)
>
>     The only solution I can think of is to extend
> the sail track down the
> mast another foot or so, but it seems like an odd
> thing to have to do.  Most
> sailboats have longer sail tracks, thus making this
> a non-issue.
>
>     Any thoughts about this appreciated.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> Randy Katz
> Gr. 3
> Bertschi School
> 2227 - 10th Ave E.
> Seattle, WA. 98102
> USA
> 206-324-5476 X301

>  |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting
> needs.      |

http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066

http://personals.yahoo.com

 |       Shop SailNet for your Spring outfitting needs.      |