[Alberg30] New Alberg 30 Owners

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 17 07:49:06 PDT 2001

I can comment on gate valves from a personal experience. As I was closing a
gate valve to the cockpit drain, years ago, the handle snapped off due to
electrolysis and the side of the valve blew off taking the slide plug with
it. It startled me so much that I couldn't catch it in time before it fell
deep into the bilge. I carry plugs on board, but they were no good since the
hole in in the gate valve side is a slot, rather than round. We were going
down fast, so I jumped overboard (March) and plugged the hole from the
outside. That following week I replaced every gate valve with ball valves.

Mike Lehman
"Gilleleje" #505
(410) 544-9067